English Legal System Online?by
Are the English courts really ready for this?
The Court released a paper “Justice Matters” and in it they detail their proposals.
In summary, the Court proposes an on-line process for Probate, Divorce and Civil Litigation cases.
For Crime, the proposal is a joined up system for the courts, police and prosecutors;
Video link trials:-
- To enable victims to give evidence where they feel safe!
- Prisoners may not have to be moved.
Non-payment of transport fares – an online process where users can log on, see evidence, accept convictions and pay a fine online.
How will the Courts do all of this?
- They propose to sell existing buildings which are not currently in use;
- They will renovate and modernise buildings which are in use;
- They will create online hearing centres to handle least serious cases;
- They will have a customer support service centre to assist users;
- The Courts will open for longer and they will also open at weekends;
- They will use video technology for customers to give evidence remotely;
- They will enable an online system for financial assistance applications.